During National Preparedness Month, Ready Colorado developed an awareness campaign to encourage the public to get prepared by building an emergency supply kit. They wanted this campaign to be current and relevant, so they decided on a “Preparedness on a Budget” promotion.
Here are the top 10 ways to prepare for an emergency on a budget according to Ready Colorado:
- Plan for the type of disasters that can happen in the area where you live.
- Create your own personalized list. For example if you have pets, you may need special items. Don’t forget to have supplies in your car and at work.
- Budget emergency preparedness items as a “normal” expense. Even $20.00 a month can go a long way to help you get ready. Buy one preparedness item each time you go to the grocery store.
- Save by shopping sales. Make use of coupons and shop at stores with used goods.
- Store your water in safe containers. You don’t have to buy more expensive bottles water, but make sure the containers are safe and disinfectant.
- Think ahead. Use a list to avoid duplicating items when you are stressed or panicked.
- Request preparedness items as gifts.
- Review your insurance policy annually and make necessary changes.
- Update contact records. Have an accurate phone list of emergency contact numbers if you are prepared.
- Trade one night out to fund your 72-hour kit. Just one night of not going out could help pay for the kit.
We are here to help you during National Preparedness Month with our American Red Cross products like the Blackout Buddy or Microlink FR160 emergency radio. These are great gifts for a friend or family member who still needs to get prepared.
Incoming search terms for the article:
- best way to prepare for an emergency
- how to prepare for an emergency on a budget
- best budget emergency radio
- best way to prepare for emergency
- best way to be prepared for an emergency
- preparing for an emergency on a budget
- how to prepare for a disaster on a budget
- what is a good way to be prepared for an emergency
- top 10 emergency preparedness items
- eton ready prepare