Your garage keeps your car, your bikes, and your grill safe. In the spring and summertime, you’re likely to spend more time in the garage heading to and from outdoor excursions and using the outdoor accessories you keep in your garage, like tents, gardening accessories, bikes, skates, and scooters. In some ways, the garage is the hub of outdoor activity, so be sure it’s a safe place for everyone coming in and out over the next several months.
Take inventory of your garage with our garage safety checklist:
• Put away the poisonous materials. Keep any toxic liquids on a high shelf or cabinet, out of kids’ or pets’ reach. This includes gas, pesticides, detergents, paints, paint thinners, bleach, floor or furniture polish, windshield washer fluid, and antifreeze.
• Be on the safe side with carbon monoxide. If you’re warming up or cooling down your car before driving it, move your car outside of the garage instead.
• If your garage door opener fails to work for any reason, have it checked out by a professional. For additional advice on checking the opening and closing function of your garage door, check out our five spring home maintenance activities to make your home safer.
• Maintain a clean, dry floor. Regularly check the garage floor for puddles, loose birdseed, or fallen toys to avoid slipping and falling.
• Install a smoke detector in your garage. People often neglect to install smoke detectors inside their garages, even though many flammable materials are housed inside garages. Double-check the batteries frequently, just like you would with any smoke detector.
• Don’t store ladders vertically. Store ladders in a closet or folded up horizontally so that children aren’t tempted to climb them and risk falling.
• Lock up the sharp stuff. Make sure that pointed garden shears, spades, nails, and other sharp tools are locked away from kids and pets.
• Consider a family garage-organizing day to put away dangerous clutter. If your garage is especially crammed with unnecessary clutter, you may want to spend a Saturday morning cleaning up the garage so that clutter doesn’t unexpectedly fall from a shelf onto anyone in your garage.
If you’re spending the day cleaning and accident-proofing your garage, why not bring along a Rukus Solar to enjoy some tunes with the family? Until May 20, we’re giving away a Rukus a day. Enter to win a Rukus Solar, and make sure to share on Facebook and Twitter. You can also check out the Rukus Solar on Amazon.