Are you and your family taking a summer vacation this year? Before you leave, make sure you’re prepared for a safe vacation—both at home and at your chosen destination.
Safety at Home
- Adjust the thermostat to avoid wasting money heating or cooling an empty home. Keeping the AC at about 85 degrees won’t waste money, but will keep furniture safe from high temp and humidity.
- Unplug devices like televisions, toasters and microwaves to reduce your risk of an electrical fire.
- Enlist a neighbor or family friend to keep an eye on the house while you’re away. Have them bring in mail, feed any pets you have and check on the house.
Safety on Vacation
- For road trips, make sure you have a fully-stocked preparedness kit in your car. You don’t’ want to ruin a perfectly good vacation because you have a flat tire and no way to fix it!
- If you’re flying, talk to kids ahead of time about rules for the airport. Gather all documents—IDs, passports, tickets—and keep them in a safe place.
- Once you reach your destination, stick together and designate meeting places during outings. Avoid wearing expensive jewelry and carrying large bags that can make you vulnerable to pickpocketing.
Like we always say, it’s better to be safe than sorry. So make sure you’re family is prepared for vacation so that it can be a fun one!
Where is your family headed for summer vacation this year?