For some, Hurricane Sandy’s weather bands are still alive and well. For others, the storm has subsided and residents in storm-stricken areas are looking to pick up the pieces. Take heed of the following tips for your home after the storm has passed, as presented by http://ready.gov:
- Walk carefully around the outside your home and check for loose power lines, gas leaks and structural damage before entering.
- Stay out of any building if you smell gas or floodwaters remain around the building.
- Inspect your home for damage and be sure to take pictures of damage, both of the building and its contents, for insurance purposes.
- Keep away from loose or dangling power lines and report them immediately to the power company.
- Once your home has been deemed safe to go inside, do not use a generator inside your garages, crawlspaces, sheds, or similar areas. Deadly levels of carbon monoxide can quickly build up in these areas and can linger for hours.
- If you cannot return home and have immediate housing needs. Text SHELTER + your ZIP code to 43362 to find the nearest shelter in your area.