We already know that preparedness is key—and with winter right around the corner, it’s even more important to stay safe in times of inclement weather and outdoor excursions. The fact that this month is Child Safety and Protection Month coincides perfectly with staying safe in the wintertime fun. To arm you with your weather preparedness needs, we’ve compiled a list of winter safety tips for your perusal.
What to Wear
Hypothermia and even frostbite can be a real danger for children and adults alike. Always dress for the weather.
- When engaging in outdoor activities, several thin layers will keep children dry and warm. Be sure to couple their attire with warm boots, mittens, and a hat.
- Sometimes we get so rowdy in the snow that it gets inside our boots! To keep feet warm and dry in the event of a breach, arm your kids with good quality wool socks over traditional cotton.
Tis’ the season for germs! Prevent sickness by being proactive.
- If your child suffers from winter nosebleeds, try using a cold air humidifier in their room at night. Saline nose drops or petroleum may also help keep their nasal tissues moist.
- To combat the risk of colds and flus, encourage your children to frequently wash their hands, and to sneeze or cough into the bend of their elbow.
- Children 6 months of age and up should receive the influenza vaccine to decrease their risk of catching the flu.
Winter is the perfect time for playing in the snow and engaging in winter sports. It’s important to be aware of the dangers that go along with wintertime fun.
- Set reasonable time limits for all outdoor play to prevent hypothermia, and have children come inside periodically to warm up.
- Consider making your child wear a helmet if they’re skiing, snowboarding, ice skating, sledding, or snowmobiling.
- Keep in mind that the sun’s rays can still cause sunburn even in the winter, especially when it reflects off the snow. Be sure to cover your child’s exposed skin with sunscreen to prevent this from happening.
Outdoor play, wintertime fun, and heartening moments are what winter is known for. Don’t let preventable dangers stand in the way of your ideal winter wonderland. To keep you prepared in every season, winter weather preparedness products from Eton Corp are the idea of reason. Find LED flashlights and weather alerts right at your fingertips to keep you safe and prepared for all the seasonal fun coming your way, day and night.
What are some other winter safety tips? Drop us a line in the comments section!