Thanksgiving week is upon us! If you’re traveling for the holidays, you know how important it is to remain healthy not only getting to your destination, while you’re on your vacation. To ensure a healthy road trip, take note of the following tips while you hit the road:
- Men’s Health suggests eating pre-flight protein. “If your body’s motion detectors sense movement differently (e.g., your view of the cabin stays the same but your inner ear senses a drop), motion sickness is likely to ensue, according to the American Academy of Neurology. The solution? Have a burger. The right preflight meal can soothe your stomach. A Pennsylvania State University study found that subjects felt up to 26 percent less nauseated when they ate a protein-packed meal, compared with a carb-loaded meal or no food at all.”
- Always carry healthy backup snacks in case you can’t find anything healthy to eat, suggests USA Today. Think fresh or dried fruits, almonds, trail mix, kale chips, protein bars, soy chips, cereal and plenty of water. Staying hydrated is key.
- While we’re talking about eating, skip the soda as a general rule of thumb. Soda does nothing for your diet. If your food options are limited to convenience store fare, plain pretzels may be your best bet.
- It doesn’t help to stay in a hotel with a gym if you don’t use it, but the upside of potential jet lag is that you may be awake at times you’d never consider accessible at home. Map our your workout times and stick to it! Even 20 minutes helps.
- Staying healthy while on the road also means managing your stress. Don’t have the overhanging fear of a dead smartphone ruin your time. Instead, keep the BoostTurbine 4000 handy to assist with an emergency charge of your cell or tablet.
- Finally, USA Today recommends not taking your work to bed. Tune it out, and spend some moments concentrating on yourself. Meditate, take a hot bath or shower, listen to music, watch your favorite TV show prior to hitting the sack.
To ensure a healthy road trip, take note of these tips! More travel tips for the holidays found throughout our blog.